Monday, May 23, 2011

Reasons Why I Will Never Get Into Politics.

This isn't a bash on anyone that I know who is political, but rather politics itself.  I have zero political opinion.  Almost zero.  Over the years, instead of forming a valid political opinion, I have formed reasons to not have a political opinion.  Here are the ones I've come up with.

1. Your political party is a label.  There are negative and positive qualities that go along with that label.  People with judge you based on that label.  The only label I want to be judged by is Christian.  And Librarian.  And probably woman.

2. Jesus was a liberal.  All the conservatives hated him.  He did radical things like hang out with women and tax collectors--our modern day equivalent to gays and politicians.  When you ask, WWJD?  you probably don't want to know the answer, if you're a conservative.

3. Conservatives want to stay put, not change, and think about everything.  Liberals want to change without thinking much.  Both seem fruitless.

4. Politics make people angry and yell at each other.

5. (which leads to) stress. 

6. In order to truly understand politics, you have to devote a lot of time to it.  I do not have this much time to devote to something.  If I did, here are a list of things I would devote said time to, first:
-Ceramics
-Novel Reading
-Traveling
-Exercising
-Working overtime
-Hanging out with friends
-Learning a second language
-outdoor recreational activities
-you get the picture

7. If you have a political opinion, you have very little respect for anyone who has the opposite opinion.  You think you're right, and can't possibly see the other side of things.

8. (which causes) A big ego

9. (and also causes) A one-sided view of the world.

10. I don't know what media sources to trust.  A lot of the printed media is liberal, Fox news is conservative... is BBC news trustworthy?  I don't even know.

11. If I did claim a political opinion, here is what would happen:
Claiming conservative: All of my overly-Christiany friends would be happy, and all of my non-Christian/other friends would think that the only reason I'm conservative is because I'm a Christian.

Claiming liberal: All of my overly-Christiany friends would start sending me "Choose Life" links and condemn me to hell, while some of my non-Christian/liberal friends would annoy me and start talking to me about politics more.

12. I don't agree with the "Every Christian is a conservative" belief, because of abortion, but I don't know what else to say about the matter, and get uncomfortable when people are very in my face about it.

13. The world is a lot bigger than conservatives view it.

14. Liberals don't often think about the common, every-man, which is me.  I like me, and I will probably be pretty common the rest of my life.

15. We are in so much debt that there is very little reason to argue about anything except how to get out of debt.

16. I really just want to vote moderate.  People tell me like that's throwing your vote down the garbage disposal.  This doesn't seem right, somehow.  Two parties, black and white, make me uncomfortable.

17. You lose respect for the president in power if you disagree with him.  Whatever party the president is, he is in charge and he deserves your respect. (1 Tim 2:1-2)

18. Your political candidate is your functional savior.  You want them to take all of your problems away.  They will not do this.

19. Every time a political candidate burps, someone is pointing a finger at them. I would hate that job, and have respect for anyone who would want that life.

20. I tried once to have a "Biblically Conservative and Culturally Liberal" political label, but this just confused people and caused more questions than I could figure out how to answer.

So, when election time comes around again, I will do my best.  But my best will consist of researching both candidates for no more than an hour.  And if this isn't good enough, then I probably won't vote at all.  To some, voting may be a God given right and a patriotic duty, but voting is (for most) an expression of opinion.  And my opinion is that I'll have none of it.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Adams, but, Mr. Adams
    The things I write are only light extemporania
    I won't put politics on paper; it's a mania
    So I refuse to use the pen in Pennsylvania

    Pennsylvania! Pennsylvania! Refuse to use the pen!

    ReplyDelete