Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Knowing what you know now...

About every other time I'm home, for whatever reason, my dad asks me the question, "Knowing what you know now, would you still have gone to Bethel?"  Maybe he's wondering if all that money was worth it, and it comforts him to ask this question many times.  Maybe he's getting old and doesn't remember that he asks me it often.

It's a good question to think about, though, and one I'm finding myself contemplating as graduation is drawing nearer.  Would I have gone to Bethel, knowing what I know now?  If you would have asked me freshman year, I would have said no.  If you would have asked me last year, I would have said definitely not.  If you ask me right now, it would waver between me being sentimental and snide.

The sentimental side of me appreciates all that Bethel has done for me.  I've gotten four excellent references, two prestigious awards, and a diploma in three years.  I bet I couldn't have done that anywhere else.  But there's something that has bugged me about Bethel all these years (besides its hypocrisy, lack of parking spaces, and ridiculous freshman visitation hour rules).  The answer: its simplicity.

I was honestly only quasi challenged while attending Bethel.  I don't think it is less difficult than a state school, from what I've heard, but I am still disappointed with how easy it is to get an A in most courses.  I'm not trying to brag about myself and say "I'm so smart, look at me!"  But maybe I should have applied to a more prestigious school.  Maybe one that would offer more of a challenge.

I guess all in all I'm happy to get out of the college atmosphere.  Immensely happy.  I was ready to be done with college about 3/4 of the way through my freshman year.  I have always seen it as a fake version of real life, where students bide their time and avoid responsibility.  Maybe I'll be missing this easy life style a few months from now, when I have to buy my own furniture and cook my own meals.  For now, though, I am ready to attack the real world with vigor.  High school was a breeze.  I conquered college.  Will real life be more difficult?  Or will I still be looking for the next phase, next challenge?  What comes next?  Marriage?  Children?  Piece of cake.

1 comment: