Thursday, May 26, 2011

Heh heh heh senior prank senior prank.

I like making blog posts that include little Easter eggs for my good friends.  The title to this post is one of them.  My post before this one included some Billy Collins, if you were clever enough to catch it.

This blog post was going to be a long and elaborate one about the emotions I felt during my last week at school, but upon reflection I don't really have much emotion to share.  Most of my emotions passed a few weeks ago, so if you're looking for a sappy graduation post, I suggest you check out this post, because that's as close as I'm going to get to tear-jerking emotion.  Or, if that doesn't suffice, you can check out Santi's Blog, who has done a great job of reminiscing about emotional Bethel-y things, lately.
This post will merely summarize my last days "at Bethel," which weren't entirely at Bethel. 

Thursday

On Thursday, Senioritis kicked in, because I spent the whole day canoeing with Nathan.  
Look at how "on the river" I am!  Such a pretty view.

I think this picture was taken some time after Nathan said, "Let's see how close to the rapids we can get!"  The answer was: as-close-as-April-feels-safe, which turned out to be 100-ish yards.











Thursday night.

Remember how I said Senioritis kicked in today?  Yeah, I still had a research paper to write.  /slash start.  It was due Friday morning.  Um.  Please don't ask me to ever show you that paper.  On my computer it is saved as, "Hell... what a crappy paper.docx".  I calculated that in order to get an "A" in the course, I had to get at least a "C" on that paper, which is never a good thing to calculate, but was comforting nonetheless.

Friday

Friday felt like 6 different days all in one.  I had to say goodbye to my library boss, which was hard, go to my last final, which was World Literature, which was with Mark Bruce, which was a presentation day, which was a big waste of time, which I seriously considered walking out of (last chance at rebellion!).  But I stayed in my seat and turned in my horrible 5 page research paper.

I spontaneously got a pedicure with JennaRose!  Sorry that there is no obnoxious photo of my toes to show you, but in the words of my mother, "That's the best your feet have looked ever."  It wasn't a pedicure straight out of the girl films--we didn't giggle and talk about girly things the whole time, but that was mostly because Dr. Phil was on the TV talking about charred ashes of a young girl...and the strange tools the older Asian man was using on JennaRose's feet.  Both were discomforting. 


Oof, then what happened?   Then my parents took me out for steak at that random steak place on the corner by Bethel.  Then we went to the orchestra with Nathan...then we went to the Melting Pot...then we went back to Bethel...and then I collapsed.


Saturday (or, The Day). 

Today's "The Day," as they say.  Oh, who cares about the ceremony.  I walked, I listened to some pretty good speakers, I threw my hat in the air... OH WAIT.  I was one of THREE people who threw their hats in the air.  HOW LAME!  Isn't that sort of tradition.  Ladies.  Couldn't you pull out your bobby pins for the sake of tradition?  Gentlemen, you have no excuse.  You are SUPPOSED to be whimsical.  We had to walk around all day with stupid hats on, and didn't even get to do the One Cool Thing with them.

Amidst the whirlwind of family and photos and saying goodbye to everyone you ever looked at funny walking down the hallway your freshman year, Nathan and Jack found time for a senior prank. 

Pride.

You may or may not know (depending on how much you pay attention to the decor of the BC) that there is a little "artist's gallery" wall across from the Royal Grounds. 

Well, see, Nathan and Jack have had this picture of Gutenberg hanging in their dorm room for a long time. They bought it at Goodwill for, like, $2.50.  Not knowing what to do with it upon graduation, Jack decides to hang it among the Bethel artwork in the BC.  Heh heh heh, senior prank, senior prank. 








How disgraceful! 




Wanting my own senior prank, I decided to rearrange the " - ~ Summer ~ -" cloth-lettered decoration in Heritage.  I couldn't figure out what to spell, so I started out with "Um...".  The boys helped me with the rest. 








I can't write about my last weekend at Bethel without mentioning Fogo de Chao.  Oh, my, goodness.  If you ever want to feel like Belle from Beauty and the Beast in the "Be Our Guest" scene, that is the place to go.  It's a bit pricy, but it will make you feel like royalty.  The waiters come around with different cuts of meat.. pork, sirloin, lamb, ...other forms of cow... it's amazing.  They cut off pieces from their giant skewers and plop them on your plate.  But, don't worry, they're not bugging you throughout your whole meal.  You get little cards--one side is red, one side is green.   Whenever you want to be bombarded with meat, you simply turn your card to green.  Voila, instant feast. 
A feast fit for college students.
Wrapping up an excellent meal with some chocolate cake and port, I snuggled into Nathan's shoulder at the table and said, "I'm just so happy."  And I was, too.

1 comment: