Half the fun of my internship is dealing with the tremendous amounts of books. Hundreds of works pass through my hands every day--some of them catch my eye, others don't. I've made a list of the ones that have fascinated me, although I pretty much have to literally judge a book by its cover to decide if it's worth writing down or not. I can't spend all day flipping through each book no matter how much I want to.
Something else that is fun about used library books is that sometimes you find things in them. Half the time they are just old, uninteresting receipts, but you'll get the occasional letter or note to a friend. It happens more often than you think. I've found three so far at my internship. The one below is by far the most interesting one I've found, although the letter cuts out at a random (and disappointing) spot. You'll see what I mean. It's terribly romantic.
To my Dearest Vanessa,
I sincerely hope that this letter finds you in good spirit. That you are taking care of yourself and keeping beautiful. I know that I use the word love a lot in my letters to you. But I feel that you would be so very easy to fall madly in love with. I've not had that feeling in a long while. With that being said, I hope that you don't mind me going a little over-board. I know that you could be happy with me. Lots of time in the past, I've been in your shoes. So much so that you have no idea. And I used to sit and think about how good it would be again to be loved. Also to love again. I am all you got and I want to make you happy. Hopefully, I don't sound wishy washy to you and that I'll be clingy. I wouldn't want that and I'm sure that you don't either. I know that you'll WANT me to be good and hard for you. To wear it out morning noon and night.
Men: This is the real way to woo a woman. Say nice things, followed by, "I'm all you've got," followed by some reference to wanting to be in her pants. Ah, love.
What?! After reading the last "good and hard" part, I had to reread the letter in that context. When he says he's been in her shoes, I'm pretty sure he's fetishizing. And when he talks about falling madly in love, he's really talking about penis.
ReplyDeleteWriting exercise: finish this note. :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I thought it was going to be kinda cute, up until "I am all you got". Lame. Man fail.
ReplyDeleteThis is why I haven't dated anyone in so long!!! I've been waiting for a man to say something so beautiful to me.
ReplyDelete