Saturday, December 18, 2010

Getting into the Spirit

I've noticed that ever since I've gone to college, I've been extremely... what's the word?  The word for a person who is hospitable, making little presents, cooking things, doing crafty things... what's the word?  Womanly?  That's a bit sexist... homey?  Something.  Well, whatever it is, that has been me for the past few years.  I love hosting parties and making little presents for friends and learning new recipes and such.  I feel like when I have my own place, I'll be a regular Susie Homemaker.  Urgh, that sounds a bit 50's degrading.  That isn't to say that I'll be a cooking cleaning machine and not aspire for anything greater in life, but it's definitely an area of my personality I love expressing.

For anyone who is much more of a chef or artist than I, you will find my little crafty claims laughable.  But I find my attempts endearing.

Christmas Cheer


This year, I've been feeling especially Christmas-crafty.  I did my standard candy-cane-with-a-little-note in my friend's P.O.s, which is typical and not that hard.  At the beginning of the holiday season, I baked some Andes mint double chocolate cookies, which turned out all right--they were a bit too thick.  They were almost like a brownie.

My  next holiday endeavor was putting up and decorating a Christmas tree for my suite.

Intense decorating skills







I didn't really do much of anything, but it felt nice to add a bit of holiday spirit to our room.  I strung some popcorn and hung some candy canes.  As you can see, I'm really pushing the boundaries of craftsmanship, here.








I am currently staying at my Aunt Barb's house, who is extremely artsy and fun.  After only half a day here, I have really gotten into the holiday spirit. 

Something that I didn't create, but helped set up. 





I helped set up my Aunt's Christmas village that she hand painted several years ago.  It's the cutest thing.  I'm sure you've seen something like it around, so you can imagine how intricate it is.  Again, here, I didn't do much.  I simply put ceramic houses and people on a wired table. 


The last thing that happened today that really put me in the Christmas mood was my aunt teaching me how to make my grandma's famous sea foam.  Perhaps you know this delicious Christmas treat by its more common name--Divinity.  Perhaps not.  Either way, it's delicious.  My grandmother has made it every Christmas for as far back as I can remember.  Lately, as my grandmother has been getting older, the sea foam hasn't been tasting as delicious as it used to.  So, to satisfy my sea foam craving, my aunt made me some.  In this process, I learned how to make sea foam, myself.  Killing two birds, as they say.  It's extremely simple, in theory, but can easily "fail." 


How easy/not easy Sea Foam is to make:

  • Combine 2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. corn syrup, 1/2 c. water
  • Boil on stove until mixture is clear, and the mixture "spins a thread." 
[Note: This is the first frustrating part.  "Spinning a thread" is an interesting process that means stirring the boiling mixture with a spoon, picking the spoon out of the pot, and seeing if any strings of mixture (similar to a spider web in thickness and stickiness) hang from the spoon to the pot. This is the indication that the mixture is done boiling.  Pull it off the stove too soon or too late and it will either not solidify, or turn to hard, lollipop candy, respectfully.]
  • Add the hot mixture to 1 beaten egg white.  (beat the egg white with a mixer beforehand). 
  • Mix the mixture with a mixer for a bit (mix mix mix), then begin to beat by hand with a spoon. 
  • As soon as the mixture starts to thicken (another tricky, judgement-call), add vanilla, and chopped walnuts, if you desire. 
  • Dollop mixture onto wax paper or tin foil to cool. 
One of my goals is to make a proper batch of sea foam.  I will be trying this over Christmas break once I get home, for sure.

So, to summarize, the reason I'm feeling particularly crafty is because I strung some popcorn, organized a Christmas village, and watched my aunt make sea foam.

Move over, Martha Stewart.

1 comment:

  1. The "Christmas Cheer" picture reminds me of the painful Sem. Hill ride... ^_^

    ReplyDelete