I'm going to Japan in January of 2011.
....
Why am I not excited to go to Japan??
That's right--I'm not at all that excited to go to Japan. I'll be perfectly honest with the cyber-world. I don't care if it makes me sound spoiled rotten... it's just not the trip I wanted to go on. I really want to go to Europe. I feel as though that is where my heart is. I'd like to take Europe by storm, by backpack, by train. I want to go there. I need to go there. I am going to look back at this moment and always regret it. I know it. I could spend all of next fall in Europe, touring around with my favorite professor, looking at cathedrals and reading literature. Sipping tea, and taking pictures next to the Eiffel Tower. I'd practice my French in France and go to the pubs in Ireland.
I will always regret not going on England Term.
I have the money.
I have the time.
Hell, why am I not going?
Instead I'm going to Japan. A country that isn't even close to my "top-ten-places-I'd-like-to-visit-before-I-die." I could live a perfectly happy life without ever going to Japan. Something bugs me about the country. It seems very... Western. I don't know. It seems like an Asian mini-America. Maybe I'm naiive. Tokyo doesn't appeal to me. Why is that? I love big cities. It just seems so...technological and artificial.
The art has never really appealed to me, either. I always skipped over the Asian section of the Art Institute. Why waste time looking at squiggles on a piece of old paper when you could go look at Roman sculpture? Or Renaissance artwork?
I probably am naive. I'll probably come back from Japan and be totally in awe of how dumb I was prior to the trip. I'll probably come back with fantastic experience. I hope I will, at least. It's taking everything in me to not cancel right here and now. I still can. I have until November 1st. I still could. I could transfer my money toward a semester abroad to Europe. France. Wales. Ireland. Scotland. London. Paris. Wordsworth. Eliot. Woolf. Cathedrals. Italia. Mamma mia.
But I won't.
And I'll always regret it.
Frankly speaking, why aren't you going to Europe then? Is it 'cause you'd feel guilty somehow for not going to Japan?
ReplyDeleteApril love, make a decision. You can go to Europe since you seem to really like that idea. Or you can give Japan a chance and I can do my best to open you up to it all.
I'm not sure if you want these, but I guess here's a few of my opinions:
Europe seems to be more in your comfort zone. It's full of things you already know and love. You can speak English pretty much anywhere. You already know places you want to see and do there. And while you'll still be that American tourist, you'll blend in pretty well and not feel alienated in any way.
Japan is something you might not have really explored past the anime and manga that I lent you ages ago. I really hope Love Hina isn't all you know... They have a mindset, a language, a history and a culture completely foreign to you. It's a land full of raw fish, bad English accents and art that you currently don't appreciate. But do you really want to give it a chance? Tokyo is a behemoth of a city, but there is a lot more to Japan than that. And trust me, in an Asian country, it's pretty darn hard to find a mini-America. Especially when you're surrounded by Japanese people =P.
It's up to you. Tell me what you want me to say. Whether I should try to make you more open to Japan or give you the nudge to switch your plans to Europe.
So what shall it be?
Explore the Eastern unknown?
Or go to Europe?
Both are fine choices, I'm sure
But what do you really want?
^That, is waka. Think Haiku plus two couplets (5, 7, 5, 7, 7)
But on a less serious note:
Man versus Lion
Should not have worn my meat vest
Wishing you were here
I love you dear <3
P.S. Japan won't be offended if you don't visit.
ReplyDeleteI believe you will ultimately have a great time in Japan if you go, even if the first few days are not so fun. How you will feel in your heart afterwards or as life goes on is less easy to predict.
ReplyDeleteNow is a great time to go to Europe. But if you want it to happen later, then you make it happen! What urges you to Europe/England Term? a desire to visit the land of great literature? vicarious memories from Ghosts of England Term Past? Joey Horstman? naked statues? postponing post grad life? a desire to live life fully now?
none of these or other reasons for wanting to go are necessarily bad or good, but i think it is sometimes helpful in decision making and thought processes to know WHY one feels a certain way or WHY one wants something.
is there a Europe trip you could go on over J-term? or would that not fulfill the desire you have?
Love you,
me.
I love you both with all my heart. You are my two favorite people, and have given sound advice. I need to think more, but I'll keep you updated. <3
ReplyDelete