Monday, June 23, 2014

Food blogging

I really hate food blogs. Here is an example of what I hate about food blogs. They did a freaking photo shoot with their enchiladas from various angles, and you have to scroll a million years to actually get to the recipe.

I cook a lot, and I encounter a lot of food blogs.  Subconsciously, I've done the math. Food blogs are annoying + there are too many of them = I will never blog about food. 

But, let me reiterate: I cook a lot.  Food is a big part of my life.  In the past two years, I've developed a relationship with cooking that helps me do the following:
  
Show Nathan love.  
 I think one of the original reasons I started cooking so much is because Nathan's mom was/is super good at cooking, and a very intimidating act to follow.  Initially cooking out of fear, I now do it out of love.  Having grown up in a home with a mother who rises before the crack of dawn to knead a breakfast danish, Nathan is programmed to feel loved and cared for when someone makes him food.

De-stress.
I really enjoy cooking, these days.  It helps me unwind without being completely lethargic. Much like some people find vacuuming or dusting or yoga relaxing, cooking has become my evening mantra.

Stay healthy.
Having cooked about 95% of the meals we've eaten in the past two years (no, I'm not exaggerating--we don't eat out) I am able to keep us on a fairly strict diet.  We *usually* don't buy desserts from the store, I bake them.  With the exception of frozen corn, our produce is bought or grown fresh.  Sometimes I even buy dried beans and cook them, as opposed to canned (although not very often; that takes a long time). 

Be creative. 
Food is beautiful and is a part of creation.  It's a gift to play with colors, textures, and tastes.  As I've grown as a "chef," I've learn substitutions and spices, and can add "a little of this and that" without feeling nervous.

Cooking vegetarian meals also means you have to be a little more creative and thoughtful about what you put on your plate.  When you eat meat, you can go to the store and purchase five slabs of meat for the week, and have each meal center around one of the meats. Ham with potatoes and beans.  Chicken with carrots and salad.  When you remove the main portion you are so accustomed to, you have to get creative. 

So--all of this is to preface my future casual food blogging.  It will mostly be links to recipes with a few pictures I've snapped throughout the week, and what I thought of the meal.  Don't hold me to this: I might stop if I get bored, or if I start feeling like Those People who take a picture every time they boil a pot of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment