This hipster problem.
I don't like to like the same things that other people like. If too many people start talking about a certain movie or book, I start to get judgmental feelings about said movie or book and automatically assume it's overrated.
It is for this reason that I did not read The Hunger Games for a really long time.
I recognize this trait is pretty immature. But you're not perfect, either.
Sometimes, though, when something becomes popular, and I actually like it, I need to validate the reason for liking it. I need to justify that I am more sophisticated than the average person because I get more out of whateveritis.
I'm snobbish.
A few years ago, Ingrid Mickelson was a pretty big deal. Not mainstream, but pretty close. She released a couple hits, one of them entitled "You and I." It was a cute little song. People posted lyrics as their Facebook statuses.
I haddn't listened to that song again until this weekend, when Nathan and I were driving home from Wisconsin. As the song finished, Nathan said, "That song is about us." Yeah, sure, I thought. That's what everyone thinks. But then we listened to the song again, and, heck... it IS about us. And because I am me, I have analyzed the song, line by line, to prove that the song really IS about us. Half of this is for personal validation, half of this is to show the creepy reality of our discovery.
Don't you worry there, my honey--
we might not have any money,
but we've got our love to pay the bills.
Pretty typical for a young married couple to be corntastically in love with each over and also dirt poor. While this does describe us, it also describes several million other couples.
Maybe I think you're cute and funny
Still fairly nondescript.
Maybe I want to do what bunnies do with
you if you know what I mean...
Oh let's get rich and buy our parents
homes in the South of France
Nathan and I talk often about learning how to speak French and live in Europe for a short while, although we have not discussed building our parents homes there.
Let's get rich and give everybody nice sweaters
and teach them how to dance.
I went through a phase of knitting people scarves a few years ago. I know, it's a stretch. But Nathan and I used to go swing dancing together and keep talking about signing up for dance lessons at the U.
Let's get rich and build a house on a mountain
Making everybody look like ants
from way up there, you and I, you and I.
It is a little known fact that one of Nathan and I's secret dreams is to build a house in the Rocky Mountains and have a sustainable little farm with two horses, a cow, goat, 6 chickens, 2 pigs, and a bunch of bunnies. I would grow corn and pick blackberries. There would be a pottery shed and salvage yard.
Well you might be a bit confused,
And you might be a little bit bruised,
It is a more widely known fact that on the day of our marriage, Nathan was so happy that he attempted a handstand, fell to his doom on a deck in my cousin's backyard, and still has a scar to tell the tale.
But baby how we spoon like no one else.
No comment.
So I will help you read those books,
if you will soothe my worried looks,
And we will put the lonesome on the shelf.
English major. Books. Shelf. I worry a lot.
It is not a perfect match. But how many couples are poor, own a rabbit, read books, have scars, are learning how to dance and are learning French, dream about mountains, and go to so much trouble just to not be like everyone else?? Not many, I suspect.
This is an example of how my brain works.
Just think if all this effort were put toward something useful.

I get the opposite reaction to finding out that something I like has become semi-popular. Makes me feel like I'm less "weird" than I once thought I was. Like I've been validated somehow. I still remember loving Doctor Horrible back in high school and then the surprise when I found out a good chunk of my dorm loved it too. Our brains work in the strangest of ways.
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDelete