Wednesday, January 30, 2013

When in Doubt, Pinky Out

I've encountered a lot of unexpected dinner parties in the past couple months.  "Oh hey, me and my six friends are coming over tonight, that's cool right?" (or something like that).  This has provided me with ample opportunity to impress strangers with my culinary expertise.

Cooking isn't very hard.  Especially when you're in your 20's and everyone else's standard is eating frozen dinners.  Then they're all like, "HOLY CRAP YOU MADE A SALAD WITH FRUIT IN IT."

So if you want to be fancy, make a salad with interesting combinations.

There are a lot of cooking blogs out on the internet that you can choose to follow.  This will not be one of them.  But I thought I would share a super easy super fancy salad recipe that impresses many guests. It pairs well with pasta.  I got the idea for this recipe from a salad I had from Z's Pizza. 

April's Pear and Gorgonzola Salad
Ingredients: 
-1 bag of Spring Mix (assorted greens like spinach and fancy leaves)
-1 pear
-1 bag Trader Joe's Candied Pecans (or regular pecans, 2 tbsp sugar, and 1 tbsp lemon juice)
-1 wedge Gorgonzola cheese
-dried cranberries, optional. 
-Note: I do not put dressing on salads.  People who do tell me that a lighter vinaigrette, or Italian dressing works nicely on this salad. 

Steps: 
1. Pour spring mix in bowl. 
2. Peel pear.  Cut up thin slices of pear.  You know, like, appropriate salad-sized.  Thin.  Put in salad. 
3. Crumble a bunch of gorgonzola cheese on salad.
4. If you don't have candied pecans, you can candy them yourself by mixing about 2 tbsp sugar and a tablespoon or so of lemon juice in a saucepan until syrup-y.  Add the nuts to coat.  Let cool (or stick in freezer for a couple minutes). 

There are lots of variations.  You can use an apple instead of a pear.  You can add dried cranberries. 


Unlike most of the people on the internet, I do not take pictures while cooking.  This is somebody else's salad.  Except it looks like they used canned pears which sounds slimy and gross.

Ten points if you catch the title's reference. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't want to ruin the reference, but this makes me want to post the recipe/pictures from when I cooked a neighbor of one of the folks that said that quote. ... Because I am one of those people who take pictures of food :D

    ReplyDelete