Thursday, April 7, 2011

Get a job.

I wish they would have told me that they didn't see the sun.  

It is often said to children to enjoy summertime, to bask in youth, to play with the dandelions, to, for God's sake, turn the television off.  Even at a young age I gathered parental intentions of exercise and good health; creativity and exploration.  They never told me that you never get to see the sun.  

I remember the sunshine of 2001, actually.  I was laying in the grass, contemplating being eleven, and a spider crawled on my leg.  An ant crawled across my book.  A bee landed on my apple.  Nature was annoying.  But the sun was warm.  


Success in high school is equated to the efforts put forth during the school year, and the monetary efforts put forth in the summer.  You're lazy if you don't have a job, and your parents would be rightfully annoyed.  

Past the age of 14, I don't remember the high noon summer sun.  The air is crisp at 9:00  and hazy at 5:00.  

Today it was 60 degrees outside and the sun was shining.  I wore a dress, but I'm not sure why.  Academia is kept at a constant industrial chill that negates all wardrobe reasoning.  


Today was the first time I saw the sunlight hit your cheek and dance in your eyes. 

I will not go to work today, I will not.  I will not get a job, I will not.  I will not watch the sun set from my office window on the third floor of a cold, brick chamber.  It laughs, oh, it laughs.  


But oh, how the sun dances in your eyes.  The sun is in your eyes.  With you I will dance.  I will watch the sun set, but I will be happy because we will dance to keep warm. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a bit beautiful. Sometimes life seems like a horrible cycle of school and work, all just to survive, but rarely to enjoy. Sometimes I want to live in a one-room cabin in the middle of nowhere, and have a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete