Last Saturday was my favorite day in Japan, so far. We explored some of the famous sights in Kyoto and then took an afternoon trip to Nara--my favorite city.
First, we went to Kinkaku-ji, or, the Golden Pavilion--one of the major landmarks in Kyoto. The area had a little lake with islands surrounding the temple itself--a comfortable forest gold that surprisingly complimented the nature around it. The beauty of the perfectly placed landscape was breathtaking--one of the most beautiful places I've been. If you read my last update, you read about the Japanese mindset of adjusting nature to make it look more natural. The more places I go in Japan, the more I understand and love that beauty.
Next, we visited a very famous rock garden--Ryoan-ji. It's one of the typical old school rock gardens where they rake the pebbles into designs and there are perfectly places boulders amongst the pebbles. We read an essay prior to going in which the author described the garden as the most spiritual place shed ever been. ....well, it was okay. I appreciated it, but,...not to that extent.
These adventures in Kyoto only took half the day, yet I was surprised when Paul Reasoner said, "Okay, the second half of today is optional." pfft. No one would skip out on Nara. Why would you ever choose to not go somewhere while in Japan??
Half the group left. Um...what???
I understand being tired or sick or whatever, but some people on this trip I don't even understand. They skip out on trips and spend their evenings on the Internet. Why even come?
So, five of us, who Paul Reasoner named The Faithful Five, got on a train and went to Nara, Japan's first capitol. Our first stop was the deer park in front of Todaiji. Think of a huge area with little shops and streets and open space with hundreds of deer. Maybe a thousand. I don't know, just, enough to make you go, "Holy Frick, there are deer everywhere!" they were very sweet and gentle and easy to pet, so April decides to pay 150 yen (2 bucks) to feed them crackers. As I was making my purchase, something pinched my butt. Rape! I thought, spinning around. No, deer. Twelve to be exact. And their fearless leader just bit me. As I rummaged through my purse for yen, deer started poking their heads in my bag. The lady handed me the crackers. Holy deer. I had my own herd. I jumped up onto a bench. Males started butting heads to get near me. I handed a baby a cracker. Six heads reached for it. The deer were no longer fun and cute. I was being poked and nudged in awkward locations.
Lesson: don't feed the deer.
Walking past the deerpalooza to the Todaiji temple, we passed through the gates and made our way onward. Urgh, just another temple, I thought...then instantly realized how wrong I was. I was staring at a massive structure--the largest wooden structure in the world, that was about 1400 years old. Made in 600 or so. The massive size complimented by the oldness was so much to take in, I was breathless. I couldn't comprehend it all, for some reason. I think it was one of the first times I have been in a literal awe over something-- and I wasnt even inside yet. This temple housed one of the largest Buddhas in the world. It wasn't particularly beautiful--it was made to be massive, not aesthetic. Sitting cross-legged, one hand up, palm outward in Buddha's typical position of enlightenment, Buddha calmly filled the room. As massive as he was, it was a breathtaking serenity. I couldnt stop starring. It helped me appreciate the rich symbolism in some religions, but also helped me understand the power an idol can have on your psyche. I had never before understood.
April
Lol. oh dear April - you crack me up! I absolutly LOVE reading through these!!! I'm so excited to spend 3 days w/ you during your amazing adventure in Japan!! Love ya, babe <3 <3
ReplyDelete