Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why make a blog?

For the past few years I've tossed around the idea of having a blog.  I created some and deleted them within the same hour, because there were so many reasons to NOT  blog.  Here are some: 

-People who blog generally think a lot of themselves, and are very opinionated about life. 
-Who would read MY blog? 
-There is a certain level of vulnerability that comes with blog writing.
             ((why would I want to be completely vulnerable with cyberspace?)) 

I've decided, however, that there are so many GOOD reasons to blog: 
-I express myself best through writing.  
-As we grow older and move, and re-move and travel, it gets harder and harder to keep in touch with those you love.  Sometimes you mean to keep in contact with your favorite friends, but then life happens and you forget.  And you didn't mean to.  
-Having a blog is infinitely better than having a Facebook.  On Facebook, when you make a post, you are saying, "Friends of Facebook, I have something that you would all be interested in, so I am going to shove it in your face and have it appear on your news feed.  NOTICE ME!"
          ((When in reality I don't particularly enjoy shouting my opinions in people's faces.))  
Whereas, on a blog, if someone cares enough about your opinions and thoughts and favorite videos and emotional crises and quotes and ramblings, they will come find you.  
-The next year is going to be full of so much change, it would be nice to have a record of how I worked through it.


So.  April made a blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm pretty new to blogging, too, and I went through the same indecision when starting new blogs and then deleting them. :) And I totally agree: Facebook is just a way to demand attention.

    I look forward to reading more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete