Monday, May 7, 2012

Break Room

I think I have a different concept of what a "Break Room" is than some people in the building.  To me, a "Break Room" is "Let's take a break from having to be 'on' this entire day.  Let's make ourselves a sandwich and not have to worry about looking and acting super-duper in front of co-workers.  Let's get away from the computer and look out the window or read a book while munching on a salad."

I, apparently, am in the minority.

To several people I work with, a "Break Room" is defined as a "get-to-know-you-while-you-heat-up-your-lunch" time.  I don't mind chatting with my co-workers I already know and am comfortable around.  But when some stranger from the other side of the building comes into the break room, I get nervous and end up having a conversation that goes like this:

Cheery person: "Helloooooo!"
Me: "Hi!" *Taking out bag from refrigerator*
Cheery person: "Do you need the microwave?"
Me: "Nope!"  *Takes out bag of salad mix.*

Here would be an appropriate stopping point for conversation.  We have exchanged pleasantries and have deduced who is in need of what appliances.

Cheery person: "Making a salad?"
Me: (Thinking: "?") "...Yep!"
Cheery person: "That's good, that's good... ...So how did the Cinco de Mayo party go?"
Me: *Becomes nervous.  Trying to remember all the way back to last week.* "It was ....good...lots of....people....came."
Cheery person: "Oh!"
Me: *feels really embarrassed and starts to make salad faster.  Goes to find a bowl*
Cheery person: "What do you need?"
Me: *Doesn't need help*
Cheery person: "Do you need a plate?"
Me: *Finds a bowl and keeps on making salad.*
Cheery person: "Did you have a lot of good food at the party?"
Me: *flustered* "Yep!"  *Leaves room*


I am such an awkward person.

1 comment:

  1. I have that exact kind of awkward conversation whenever I'm in an elevator with someone from my lab. Though I guess riding to the 8th floor in silence might be equally weird. @_@ I never win.

    ReplyDelete