I know what you've been thinking. You've been coming to this blog every month, no, every week, waiting for me to post another Guilty Pleasure. You've been thinking, "Come on, April, this is something you used to do over a year ago, consistently, and then you just stopped. Those were my favorite posts."
Well, put on your pinstripe jacket and gather 'round the computer screen, 'cause Guilty Pleasures are HERE TO STAY!
That is until I go through another phase in my life where I stop listening to the Dave Ryan in the Morning Show, which is the only time in my life when I actually accidentally listen to pop music, because they alternate that talk show with pop music. And then I sometimes accidentally listen to pop music on my way home from work because my radio station is still tuned in to the same station it was in the morning. See Steps 1-7 below.
Some of you might be new readers, though. You may have no idea what a guilty pleasure was or is.
A "Guilty Pleasure" as defined by me is a pop song that I can't help but like, even though I know that all pop songs are, by definition, crap-coated crap. Even though I could be spending my time and energy doingsomething that wouldn't reduce my IQ, I choose to listen to songs that have seven words in their entire chorus, or songs that repeat the same 5 note pattern the entire song.
A Guilty Pleasure and I normally have this sort of relationship:
1. The song comes on the radio when I'm trying to listen to my talk show. Sigh. I suppose I'll suffer through the latest pop hit. They'll get back to my talk show soon.
2. I mock the song because I am actually listening to the lyrics. This song is idiotic. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?" Kelly Clarkson just took a saying and repeated it over and over!
3. The song comes on the radio again as I'm driving home from work. Oh, this one again. It must be the big thing, now, I guess. What all the kids listen to, eh? So stupid. Why is this radio station even still on? I should change it to classical.
4. I switch the radio station the next morning to listen to talk radio. There's that damn song again! It's so simple, I probably know all the words to it already.
5. The song comes on again, after work. Shoot, I still have this crap station on... wait... I know this song!! "What doesn't kill you makes you STRONG-ER, STRONG-ER..."
6. I spend a couple days Youtubing the song as My Little Guilty Pleasure. I make a blog post about it so people can judge me, which hinders their likelihood of revisiting my blog.
7. I've listened to the song so much that it annoys the crap out of me. It's become overplayed. When it comes on the radio, I now shout, "NO," and change the station immediately, washing my hands of it.
Anyway.
This month's guilty pleasure is Kelly Clarkson's Stronger. It makes me feel all...empowered.
This blog is great for many reasons.
ReplyDeleteEspecially "well, put on your pinstripe jacket and gather round the computer screen!"