Tuesday, January 3, 2012

An Obvious New Year

"Consultants get paid thousands of dollars to tell executives the obvious, because the obvious is neglected." -When I Don't Desire God, 115-6.

Typically, the New Year is a time for new beginnings.  Some people make diligent lists, checking off their progress as the year progresses.  Other people are less advantageous and simply make mental notes about things they would like to change about themselves.  While we may word things differently, several of our goals are ultimately the same: Get in shape.  Eat better foods.  Quit smoking.  Read my Bible more. 

If you are anything like me, several of these timeless goals have found themselves occurring on my New Year's list year after year.  I have resolved to "Drink more water" since I was fifteen.  I write this as I take a sip from my Cherry Coke. 

So, if you are anything like me, you often wonder what the best tips and tricks are to achieve these goals.

I am writing to wish myself and everyone else a very obvious New Year.  Because no matter what books we read or courses we sign up for or lists we make, the answer to everything is diligence.

Diligence is the virtue of determination and hard work; the opposite of it is sloth.  Therefore, everything we desire to improve in ourselves is essentially combating laziness.  If there is something you want about yourself but you have not done it yet, you are not diligent.  You are being lazy.  Here are a few New Year's examples.

Goal: "I want to eat healthily."
Solution: Don't buy unhealthy foods. 

Goal: "I want to quit smoking."
Solution: Don't buy cigarettes.

Goal: "I want to read my Bible more."
Solution: Read your Bible every day. 

Goal: "I want to be in shape!"
Solution: Work out.  Regularly.

 Our lives are not filled with unattainable goals.

Let's take a minute to not fool ourselves.  If we want something, we cannot go at it halfheartedly.  We cannot "reward" ourselves with a day off.  Much like how the Bible commands us to put sin to death.  It doesn't say, "Put your sin to death when it is convenient, and excluding the times you are out with friends, or have something better to do."  Much like, "I can't work out today because it is cold outside."  Please.

So either go for your New Year's resolution or don't.  Don't try to impress yourself by reading articles and buying the right materials.  Because you're simply a lazy fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment