(Which, I recognize breaks my oath, but I plan on selling the thing at the flea market, and will probably get my five dollars right back.)
So I started reading this book, and to be honest, I couldn't put it down. It was just like everyone said it would be. Story-wise, it was completely gripping. I finished it in two days. Here is a quick and easy summary.
It's North America after the North America we know and love has been destroyed. The continent is divided up into twelve districts and the capitol area. Each district has a job: technology, agriculture, etc. The capitol keeps a tight hold on all the district dwellers through control of food. It isn't uncommon for people to starve to death over the tight food regulations. But, pretty much the only way to get food is to obey the government, otherwise everyone would die.
Another way the government keeps a tight hold on everyone is by having The Hunger Games every year. It's a competition between 2 children from each district--24 total. The boy and girl from each district are chosen through a lottery system, and, as expected, the narrator becomes the girl chosen to participate. No surprise there. The boy is Peeta, who becomes our narrator's star-crossed lover as the games progress.
That's the quick and dirty plot summary.
Now, there were a few things I enjoyed about the book besides the captivation factor of the story (which, to be honest, shouldn't be too much of a compliment. Twilight, admittedly, captivated me, too.) One thing was the social criticism about world hunger. The people who live in the capitol have enough food to be completely satisfied all the time. You press a button and anything you hunger for appears. It was disgusting that the capitol had so much after learning that the narrator and her family barely scrimp by. Oh, wait. That's the world we live in.I enjoyed the relatability of the main character, too. And her tomboyish ways. I enjoyed the thrill of the games; the strange way that the author made children killing each other so commonplace. I also kept thinking what an awesome movie The Hunger Games is going to make. It might actually be pretty good!
(Sidebar: Did anyone else have feelings of being watched constantly while reading this novel? Since Katniss and Peeta were always on camera for an audience during the games, the book had this strange psychological effect of making me feel watched, too!)
And then the stupid teenage romance crap starts.
Okay, I did see it coming. I just didn't think it would be played up that much. Which, it really isn't through the first 2/3 of the novel. But then all of a sudden it was thrusted upon me with as much welcome as a sick cat would receive. You don't really want to look at it and it won't leave you alone.
Without giving too much away, I also didn't find that random "rule change" in the middle of the novel the least bit surprising, and a little bit of an easy plot fix on Suzanne Collins' part. If you've read the novel, you know what I'm talking about.
So, all in all: Am I glad to have read the first novel? Yes. I enjoy reading books that are mainstream to figure out what the general public likes. It helps me feel up-to-date in the book culture world. It makes me a better librarian. What it an enjoyable read? Yes. Is it my new favorite book? Not even close. Will I finish the trilogy? Not likely. Maybe I'll put my name on the waiting list at the library. By the time February rolls around, I can go pick up Catching Fire.
I agree that it's interesting to read the mainstream novels to figure out what the general public likes, and why...other than the fact that they are usually easier reads. I'm currently reading "Eat, Pray, Love" for that reason. Also, I enjoy your book reviews.
ReplyDelete