As previously mentioned, I am trying to get through the Harry Potter books one more time before the last movie comes out. I just finished re-reading number four, which I have read only two times before.
What I remember most about the fourth novel is the hype it got when we were in fifth grade. As soon as that book came out, everyone devoured it (including me). The thing was, I don't remember liking it that much. And I still don't. I was amazed how everybody's favorite novel quickly turned to the most recent--my ten year old brain couldn't figure it out. Was it because it was the biggest? Was it the Triwizard Tournament?
The fact remains, as stated in my last blog post, I just don't like much of the "Dark Arts" stuff that the Harry Potter series has to offer. It's brilliantly exciting in the movies, but the books frustrate me. I always felt badly that Harry got stuck in the middle of everything, and this book brings my frustration to an all time high.
First, Harry gets entered in the Triwizard Tournament, even though he is about four years too young and everybody thinks he somehow magiked his way in. This causes unwanted hatred from every House at Hogwarts except the Gryffindors. People go out of their way to make badges just to show how much they hate Harry.
Next, we have the Rita Skeeter side-plot, as though Rowling thought Harry needed some more anguish in his life. This woman's goal is to twist the truth, spy on private conversations, and print lies in the wizarding world's newspaper about Harry and his friends.
Third, Voldemort comes back to power, and nobody really believes Harry except Dumbledore and immediate family and friends. Now, at first you would think, "Well, as long as Harry has Dumbledore on his side, he can't go wrong!" Wrong. The end of the fourth novel leaks a bit of the Dumble-bashing that is to come in the next novel. Nobody at the Ministry is willing to believe Harry's story, as the only other witnesses are Death Eaters or dead. Dumbledore, of course, always has the amazing ability to see the truth in any situation, but because of the absurdity of his claims--Voldemort returning--the ministry thinks he is loosing his touch. Imagine that--the safest, most powerful good wizard, loosing his touch.
Harry just can't seem to catch a break, and it frustrates me to no end. I will never understand why the fourth book was the elementary school craze--I didn't see anything in it before, and I still don't now.
Instead of leaving me with warm and fuzzy feelings of nostalgia, this book left me with dread at the upcoming fifth novel. I will cringe every time I read "hem hem," and will probably gloss over Harry's angry pubescent outbursts. Being a teenager is hard enough without having the whole wizarding world against you. Maybe Harry should just stop telling lies, eh? Oh well. At least there's a kiss.
No comments:
Post a Comment