Monday, September 13, 2010

A Day in the Life (or) First Impressions-- Monday Edition.

How self-indulgent do I have to be to think that the people of the world would like to know what a day in my life is like?
Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. 
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup, and looking up, I noticed I was late. 

Admittedly, my life is a bit more interesting than THAT I'd like to think.  You can be the judge. 


Monday morning: 6:00 a.m. (roughly)

 I've taken a habit of waking up early, this year.  I've found it's easier to wake up early when you DON'T need to than when you DO.  So, I wake up and do the morning usual.  You know.  A list of stuffs that everyone does every morning that would be pointless for me to recite for you.  After that, I grab my laptop and whatever book I'm reading for class and park myself in the living room, usually in a failed attempt to not wake up Tasha. Sometimes my lovely suite-mate Samatha Allgood  
is out and about, either running or doing devotionals.  (Sidenote: Wouldn't Sam's last name be perfect for a short-story protagonist?) 

8:45 a.m.  -ish.

I usually get something from the campus cafe that gives the illusion that I'm a coffee drinker.  I like acting all classy and carrying around one of those Caribou paper-cups.  SPOILER ALERT: There is never coffee inside.  It is usually hot chocolate or apple cider. 

9:00-10:10 a.m.
NONFICTION PROSE:  This class has mainly consisted of my Writing Center boss (April Schmidt) leading me and 10 others through various nonfiction works.  These works are often encouraging in nature--which I believe is meant to soothe whatever fears our inner tortured artists are feeling. 

10:10-11:10 a.m.
Depending on how well my day is going, I occasionally find a roommate or friend to go to chapel with.  Otherwise this time is used to decompress for a bit.  Everything on campus shuts down during Chapel Hour, so there are absolutely no commitments that I need to worry myself over. 

11:10-12:20 p.m.
During this hour, I attend Brit Lit 1, which I have attended for the third year in a row, now.  WHY, you ask?  I'm the TA.  Half the time I just sit in class and learn and relearn the things I have already learned, but occasionally I am required to co-teach lectures, poems, or topics. 

12:20-12:45 p.m.
Here, I attempt and ALWAYS FAIL to eat lunch.  I rush over to the Grill, place my order, and wait.  And wait.  And since this is the busiest part of the day for the Grill (the lunch hour), I don't get my food until 12:50.  Which makes me about 5 minutes late for work. 

12:50-1:45 p.m.
Here, I am scheduled to work in the library with Emily.  
I typically end up trying to eat my lunch and teach her how to do Serials Department Things at the same time.   Emily has a very beautiful and constantly changing laugh.  We laugh over stupid things.  I feel like half the time she is laughing at me laughing at something completely un-funny, but that's okay. 

1:50-2:40 p.m.
Modern Mythmakers with Thomas Becknell.  Right now we are reading Lion's Honey, which is based off of the myth of Samson.  Becknell is always really good at adding visuals to his lessons, which I really appreciate.  He always has slides of famous images or clips from movies that pertain to whatever we are talking about. 

2:50-3:40 p.m. 
Family in Biblical Perspective with Gary Long.  Gary Long has been considered by many to be the most difficult professor at Bethel U.   SO WHY ON EARTH WOULD I WANT TO WRITE MY EXEGESIS FOR HIM?!  Because it's a challenge.  I would rather be challenged and get a B than not learn anything and get an A.  I know that sounds super hard-a of me, but honestly.  Plus, the course is challenging my faith.  Long has begun the class with a month-long study of Biblical interpretation.  We're talking about how to identify the culture from the text itself, which isn't as easy as I've made it out to be in the past.  And it's not just the easy things you've heard of like, the Bible encourages slavery, that's cultural... no.  Difficult things like the way someone's name indicates the god they worship and what that says about their leadership roles at that time period, etc.  
Also, Long is a pretty interesting character.  A man of many rings, earrings, and idiosyncracies.  He begins most class periods with a MUSE Youtube. 

3:45 pm. 
Here, I meet with Naiomi Ludeman Smith, who is the College Writing Professor I TA for.  I typically end up getting large amounts of papers to pass back to students via PO boxes, or grades to enter,... you know.  Typical TA grunt work. 

4:00-7:00 p.m.
Here would typically be a wise amount of time to get going on homework.  Typically.  Wise.  Wise decisions... 

7:00-9:15 p.m. 
Here, I sit in the Writing Center, anxiously waiting for students to come rushing in with questions about MLA documentation and semi-colon usage.  ... Or I sit and write blog entries.   The Writing Center isn't that busy, this time of year.    

9:15-11:30 p.m. -ish. 
Homework.  In the library if I need to focus.  In the window seat of our living room if I don't.  Living la vida loca, I am.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment