Although I am quite young and have only been politically conscious long enough to have cared about/voted in 3 elections, I've noticed a trend in the response to elections and their results. When I was going off to college in the fall of 2008, I listened to and joked with a number of conservatives about Obama being the Antichrist. You probably remember this, too. I am ashamed of this. I do believe, however, in a small space of my heart, that some of the people who said these things truly believed them, or, were so afraid that they let themselves believe them.
I sit in a unique position in life in that I run with several circles. I am a Christian academic. I am a librarian social justice advocate. I refuse to be defined by a political agenda, and, as Mary Oliver would phrase it, I choose to keep the company of "those who say 'Look!' and laugh in astonishment, and bow their heads." I am not a chameleon, or wishy-washy. I love deeply and believe strongly. But I think before I speak. And now I am speaking.
My views of Mr. Trump can be summarized by this outstanding Christianity Today article. You don't need me to summarize everything he has done, for many have done so with more thoroughness and thoughtfulness already. Because of his words and actions, I do not find Mr. Trump presidential. He demeans and bullies entire peoples--he generalizes with hatred and disrespect. He is the opposite of the character I look for in a leader and man of respect. I see no evidence of thoughtfulness in his policies or personhood.
Now our country sits on the extended Eve of Donald Trump becoming president, and, as was common in the entirety of the campaign, people are freaking. the hell. out. My Newsfeed has turned into rage and fear--people literally trembling with upset, feeling sick to their stomachs, claiming there are dark times ahead. Trump is Hitler. Trump will be the worst thing that's ever happened to our country. This is the beginning of the end.
To this response, I have two answers--for Christians, and for non-Christians. Perhaps you will find the advice for one applicable to you who sit in the other--no matter. I just write the next two paragraphs with each of you in mind.
To Christians: I will not patronize you with the simple response of "Jesus is King" and "it doesn't matter who is in the White House," because it does matter. To many. But let me say to you: if you let your political agenda get ahead of your first responsibility of being a Christian, then you are in sin. I'd like to think that in times of uncertainty, those who do not know the sweet peace of Certainty look to those who do. We are being watched, whether in reality or virtual reality. Let your actions and heart reflect that of self-control, faith, peace, and love--the Fruit of the Spirit. Do not politicize your Savior. Do not claim your King for your Party. Whether this election excites you or horrifies you--a man or woman in office is NOT where your hope resides, and let your actions be a reflection of that. Do not be dismissive, but do not create idols. Run everything by the Gospel and pray unceasingly.
To non-Christians: There is a goodness within our culture that you should not lose sight of. Whatever your cause, be it the environment, social justice, immigration, job growth, or what have you, these issues do not begin or end with our next president. If you are distraught by a policy that may be changed, then go out there and be the change. Change hearts and minds, and don't sit around waiting for someone else to "Make America Great Again," or rest in "America Is Great." One man cannot stop you from being strong, from loving your neighbor, from recycling your plastics, from learning a language. Do not despair in policy, but go and help to change lives. There is so much work to be done that rests in the real world. Step away from your computer and make a difference.
Whatever side of the party line you stand on, be it far at one end or somewhere in the middle, may you study figures, think deeply, hope for unity, and be the change you desire. And NEVER be afraid.
No comments:
Post a Comment