Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Halftime Report

As I was finishing up my semester at St. Thomas this spring, I was extremely excited for a summer of no class, warm days, and lots of camping.  Now that the summer is halfway over, I recently stopped to reflect on the fact that although I have had no class, and although I've been warm, I have not gone camping yet.  Upon realizing this, I immediately started scolding myself.  What's wrong with you, lazy?  You should have gone at least twice by now.  

A quick glance at my calendar provided explanation.  I have had plans every single weekend since the middle of May.  Granted, it's been amazing, but lately I've been quite exhausted as I wake up in the wee hours of the morning to go work out.  Here's a recap of what I've done so far this summer:

2nd Weekend in May: 
-This was the last weekend with no plans Nathan and I had.  It was the weekend after the Gatsby Party and, quite frankly, our house still looked like the party just ended.

3rd Weekend in May:
-Memorial Day weekend.  We went to Wisconsin to visit my parents.  This drive seemed amazingly short after the road trip we took in March.

1st Weekend in June:
-Nathan took me to a bed and breakfast in Duluth for our anniversary.  It was heaven.  While in the area we drove up to Goosebury Falls along the North Shore.  Nathan looked for agate on the beach while I read under a blanket.  You see, being exceedingly excited for warm weather like I was, I didn't bring pants to Duluth.

2nd Weekend in June:
-This weekend I helped my Aunt clean out her basement along with all of my cousins.  While this doesn't sound like the best way to spend a free weekend, I often look for any excuse to hang out with my cousins, since I think they're really cool but we never hang out outside of family get-togethers/interventions.

I also went to Northern Spark this weekend, which is a big modern art festival in St. Paul.  I learned how to graffiti things and wrote on a car that was covered in chalk-paint.

Also, we went and saw Nathan's parents on Sunday. 

3rd Weekend in June:
-This weekend Carrie Carter stayed at my apartment while attending family events in the cities.  Besides entertaining Miss Carter, I also went to a barbeque at the Koppe's house and unintentionally won a bocce-ball game.  On Sunday I hung out with Emily Coleman, Joel, Lyndsey, and Carrie and felt cool.

4th Weekend in June: 
-This weekend I went on a road trip with Lyndsey to St. Cloud, to go to a wedding of a person I didn't know, to be a good friend and keep Lyndsey company so she didn't have to fly solo.  As great of conversation we had, and as much as I love Lynsdey, and as much as I love free food, I don't think I'll be going to any non-obligatory weddings again for a while.

I think this is also the weekend Nathan and I went to the Science Museum and saw the more-for-children-than-adults Mayan Exhibit. 

5th Weekend in June: 
-On the last weekend in June Nathan and I went to see Much Ado About Nothing at the Hipster Theater in Uptown, in which I got (once again) completely angry at Uptown's lack of parking, which ended up in me formulating the "No Going to Uptown Ever Again Unless You're Riding Your Bike" rule.  The movie was really good, though!  We went with Nathan's friend, who is a physicist, and his friend's girlfriend, who is a librarian.  Seems like a pretty legit couple to double-date with.

Also this weekend Nathan and I went with John and JennaRose to the Antiquarian Book Faire, which didn't have as much randomness as the last time we went, but I did find a pretty edition of Gulliver's Travels.  (Also another great couple for double-dating.  IT guy + English Major).

If that weren't enough, we also went to a drive-in Theater with Nathan's friends.  Let me tell you, some of the people who go to the drive-in are intense.  Grills, inflatable couches, and tiki torches completely overshadowed our cooler of beer and hummus.


4th of July Weekend: 
- My weekend started Wednesday this week, which involved me rushing out of the office after work to try and beat traffic up North to Carrie's Cabin.  We arrived Wednesday night on Lake Belle Taine with just enough time for a ride around the lake in the pontoon.  On Thursday we went on a 12-mile bike ride, ate ice cream, kayaked, sunbathed, and swam.  Before leaving Friday morning, we visited the Carter Red Wagon Farm and picked strawberries with Carrie's niece and nephew.

Friday afternoon we drove back to Minneapolis so I could throw together a couple strawberry-themed desserts for Lynnet's 4th of July barbeque.  We spent the night at Nathan's parent's house.  Saturday Nathan and his dad worked on the rabbit hutch they're building (more on that later) while I hung out with Hannah.  We went and saw Despicable Me 2.  

2nd Weekend in July: 
-In the morning, Nathan and I attended a membership class at Bethlehem Baptist Church, in which I learned that I'm not allowed to become a member until I'm baptized via immersion.  I was originally very put off by this until we talked to Nathan's grandpa on the phone a few hours later, who said, "Well, you're going to a baptist church, and they all do baptism that way.  If you don't want to be immersed, you probably shouldn't go to a Baptist Church."  Which actually made a lot of sense.

Later that day, we went with Jack Houlton--home from Colorado!--and Nathan's other friends to Bunker Beach, or, "Minnesota's Finest Waterpark" (#not actually what they call themselves).  As much as I still want to hit up Noah's Ark this summer, the wave pool, lazy river, and water slides at Bunker Beach were actually pretty satisfying.

On Sunday we drove to the hospice where Nathan's Grandpa Kelly is staying, because his cancer took a turn for the worse and we wanted to be sure to see him again.  After paying our visit, we stopped at the nearby botanical gardens, where we took pictures of flowers and got lost in a hedge maze.

Last Weekend: 
-Nathan's cousin Ali was home from Hawaii, so Nathan's Aunt had a party for her, which we went to Friday night.  We stayed the night at Nathan's parent's house again.  Now, visiting my in-laws would not be the Event of Choice for three of my summer weekends, but this has mainly happened for two reasons: 1. Nathan's Grandpa's Cancer 2. The Rabbit Hutch.

Nathan and his dad have been working on the rabbit hutch for what seems like forever, but as  you can see from the picture, they are nearing completion!

Just for the record: The full-story double-archedwindows?  Not my idea.



And this was just what we did on the weekends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment